Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hellbound Call Center

by CY



As a part time telemarketer, I often notice people ranting online about how much they hate telemarketers, brainstorming ways to annoy us for revenge. I tend to empathized with those who take out their frustration on the relatively innocent telemarketers.



I admit I was rude to telemarketers several times too. I once loudly yelled, “Good Luck!” to a telemarketer trying to sell me credit cards.



Despite what telemarketing companies claim, I believe nobody becomes a telemarketer selling credit cards over the phone by choice.


I have been underemployed or unemployed for long periods of time. On top of my credit card debts and student loan, I have to confront my worsening mental health. Being underemployed or unemployed makes me feel even more clinically depressed, anxious and hopeless. The last thing I need to hear is someone telling me how I need to get a real job instead of bothering him or her with my phone calls. Yeah, tell me something I don’t know already...

1 comment:

  1. Interesting rules for telemarketers I found in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemarketing_in_Canada

    Rules all telemarketers must follow

    These are rules that all telemarketers must follow for calls within Canada:
    Callers must identify the person or organization they represent.
    Upon request, callers must provide the telephone number, name and address of a responsible person the called party can write to.
    Callers must display the originating calling number or an alternate number where the caller can be reached (except where the number display is unavailable for technical reasons).
    Names and numbers of called parties must be removed within 30 days of the called party’s request.
    DO NOT CALL lists are to be maintained by the calling party and remain active for three years.
    A telemarketing telecommunication is restricted to the following hours: 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. on weekdays (Monday to Friday); and 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on weekends (Saturday and Sunday), in which the hours refer to those of the consumer receiving the telemarketing telecommunication.
    Sequential dialing is not permitted.
    Calls are not permitted to emergency line or healthcare facilities.
    Random dialing and calls to non-published numbers are allowed.

    P.S. guess no way to hate telemarketers if they follow all of that.

    ReplyDelete